It is the responsibility of the heads of the related department or section managers, supported by the local HSE committee, to ensure implementation of our environment policy and conserve natural resources, raw materials, water and energy by process improvements, recycling and reducing and re-using waste.
Some environmental achievements to date include:
- The protection and promotion of natural revegetation;
- Major clean up and decontamination projects;
- Thousands of tonnes of scrap steel recycled;
- Improved management of storm water and runoff from the mine site;
- Continually improved management of tailings facility decant water discharge;
- Major drainage works by State Government to allow treatment of the acid drainage from pre CMT operations. This remediation process will recover copper from the polluted waters and revenue will be used by the State for additional future remediation projects.